Winter's Growing


It has been a winter.  And never have I longed for spring so greatly.  



As I wait for spring weather and rejoice on days when I can actually get OUTSIDE, I really sense the parallel with this season in my life as I continue to wait to see the Lord's plan unfold.   I have been so encouraged with the wisdom of Ruth Chou Simons' hashtag: #youdonthavetobebloomingtobegrowing.

Winter lessons feel hard.  I miss my family, now a state-away  I miss my kindred spirits, scattered around the country starting families of their own.  I miss my old roommate, who could make any night a party.  I miss the South.  I struggle with long periods of quiet.  I hate paying bills.  I don't feel the blooming.

Winter lessons are good.  

All discipline for the moment seems not to be joyful, but sorrowful; yet to those who have been trained by it, afterwards it yields the peaceful fruit of righteousness. ~Hebrews 12:11 (NASB)

If winter were not so cold, spring would not feel so warm.  And as someone reminded me just last night, winter kills the bugs! Neither is winter without beauty.  

I know I am exactly where God wants me to be.  I know I am doing what God wants me to do.  He has enrolled me in that hard, good school people call "adulting."   He has my attention, and He has given me Himself. And with the ebb and flow, the ups and downs of this winter season, He is sanctifying me, challenging my assumptions of what I think I need.  He is showing me over and over and over again HE is what I need.

Yes, I do feel the growing.

And you know what, spring comes.  I can't wait for warm sunshine, sandals, and brown skin.  Honestly, I am excited to see what God has up His sleeve. But I want this spring (and summer) to be all the sweeter because of the lessons I learned about leaning on God during the winter.  




Comments

  1. Roots are just as important as the bloom :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well said, niece of mine! Athough we are in different seasons in our lives, I came to the very same conclusion yesterday....all I need is HIM! Thanks for sharing, & I am loving this same book you're referring to. Your mama got it for my birthday! Love you...
    Auntie M💕

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts