On the Subject of Gifts, This Valentine's Weekend

Recently, I looked again at a journal page I wrote a few Saturdays ago.  The title at the top of the page is simply "My Gift," followed by a list of facts that I enjoy distinctly because I am single today.  Here they are...

  • Longer, undistracted time spent in Scripture & prayer
  • Time for discipling young women, traveling the world, being involved in church events, and rest. 
  • Freedom to cook what I want, exercise, earn and spend my own money, and listen to whatever.
  • Opportunity to daily practice patience and trust. 
  • Days spent with the Lord as my first Counselor and dearest Friend.
  • The chance to be distinctly counter-cultural in purity, joy and beauty.
  • Also, time to enjoy with my parents, study biblical counseling, volunteer, hang out with friends, and write on my blog. 
  • Friends who are in the same season to pray with, take adventures with, and encourage.  
  • Friends in a different season who remind me that marriage is good but not perfect. 
It honestly kind of annoys me how on Valentine's week there are all kinds of blog articles and Instagram posts floating around sending the subtle message that God's love is a consolation prize, especially for those without a human valentine (or with a lame, forgetful one).  Forgive me if I sound harsh.  God's love is rich and deep and full and pure, and it's not shown with partiality to either singles, in-betweens, or marrieds.  

Ok, now here is my honest, optimistic realism for the romantic weekend...



Singleness is a good and beautiful gift.  And like marriage, it is challenging.  Those ten bullet points I shared above testify to that truth.  There are days I feel overwhelmed by the weight I carry on my shoulders and would do just about anything to shift some of that weight onto a godly husband.  And, then, way more often then in previous years, there are times when I am literally thanking God that He has given me an extended season of flying solo with HIM because, it really is true, "the single woman cares for the things of the Lord" (1 Cor. 7:34).  

There was a time when I was utterly appalled at the notion that God would give me an extended season of singleness.  But as I continue to walk this daily journey, the more I appreciate how His gift is filled with so many privileges listed above. These privileges, others are denied, because their gift, while not not less has constraints. 

So, I am excited because...
  • Yesterday, I got to order pizza and each chocolate cake with my roommate.
  • Yesterday, I got to hug my sister who came for a visit.
  • Yesterday, I got cookies and flowers from a couple of amazing friends.
  • Today, I get to host a crazy party for my other single sisters.
  • Today, I get to anticipate the mystery of romantic love, (hey, it's still a largely unexplored territory!).
And I am reminding myself that whether I am single for 10 more days, 10 more months, or 10 more years, I don't want to waste a day feeling jipped because Handsome Husband has yet to send me flowers.  No way.  I want to enjoy the freedom, sow and reap the sanctifying, overcome the hard, and downright thrive in this solo adventure with the King of Kings.  Because, as my wise friend Laura says regarding the gift of singleness, "God could take it away tomorrow!"

Comments

Popular Posts